Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sunshine Falls



Sunshine Falls
By A. Prog.

The setting sun, it taunts my slumber,
Waking to a world of wonder,
A world devoid of man and light,
And sadly of my prime delight.

It is a maiden, wond'rous fair,
The sweetest flowers in her hair,
Upon her brow it never rains.
The air is stilled,
My heart is filled,
And Sunshine is her name.

So full my soul with love for her,
I see reflecting in the mirror,
A body, a shape... it's been so long...
Oh! my heart aches with love so strong.

And yet, she will I never gain; 
Free from me she'll ever be -
For she - my joy - also my pain,
Because my love she'll never see -
A horror am I to her eyes:
Monstrous creature ne'er endured,
Ever yet without allure,
A strength to match mankind's elite,
But in my chest, no heart doth beat.

So cold, unfeeling, void of life,
They say death's touch is free of strife,
A sleep so silent, free of pain,
Ah! Only do they know the name,
So many times more pain can be.
In Vampire's birth did God decree
That when we rest, we shall be dead,
Our lips bloodstained with darkest red,
A shame to name and noble birth,
And never yet do we feel mirth.

Looking upon her lovely face,
Maiden asleep in bed of lace,
A vampire's tear falls to her cheek,
And to the window do I leap
As from her slumber she awakes,
Away with great speed must I make;
If upon me her eyes alight,
Nevermore I'll see the night.

Away in my castle, far in the hills,
I lift my saddened eyes.
They move with a forced mind and will,
Sighting a great surprise.
For before me on the floor, to her knees
Sunshine falls.
Lifting my head with a gentle hand,
She speaks; her voice, it whispers "please,"
She tells me all that she had planned.

During my visits, she'd feigned sleep,
Her wakefulness she'd strove to keep.
Upon her when my eyes I placed,
She told me how her heart would race,
A love forbidden in her heart,
The danger tearing her apart,
'Twas her desire that we be twain.

She bared her neck, no fear of pain.

And thus I realized my mistake,
I would not do her harm.
A vampire's life's no give, all take,
My love had lost its charm.
Convince her so I couldn't do,
She shook her head decidedly:
"This is my path, I'll see it through."
Oh, why must love be so deadly?

I told her, "No, it can't be done
It's not your death I seek."
She asks, "Why not, my love?" and runs
Her soft hand down my cheek.
"We'd be together for forever,
With you I'd always be."
"O Sunshine, harm you could I never -
For you're my life, you see."

At that the door flew off its hinges,
Men stormed in through the door;
Up to her feet flew sweet Sunshine,
Her sweet face shrouded in horr'r.
A crossbow raised, a bolt is sent
Through the air, fast at my chest,
Death's life is done, my time is spent,
It's time to taste eternal rest.

The wooden bolt will pierce my heart,
The Vampire's Curse thus ended,
And I shall crumple into dust,
My death finally mended.
But no! Sweet Sunshine jumps in front,
I scream her name in vain!
The bolt, it hits her in the chest.
I cannot tell my pain!

From the men, a yell of shock -
They see what they have done. 
I cannot move - my legs, like rock -
My head's telling me to run.
Them I don't see, my life's worn thin,
They aim their bows again to fire,
Her name is on my lips again,
But of life do I tire.

She turns her head to look at me,
The pain etched in her face,
And down her side, the blood I see,
As in the midst of this dark place,
Sunshine falls.
And from my lips - a yell of pain,
The men, they seem confused,
As rushing to her side again
Is none but the accused.

I hold her gently in my arms,
My tears fall to her brow.
I never meant to do her harm.
It's happened anyhow.
"I took the bolt," she whispers, pained,
"Your life, did it I save?"
And on her blood my eyes I trained.
I must keep her from the grave.

The blood, her life, a vampire's world,
'Twas spilling to the ground.
More value than gold or a pearl,
And never makes a sound.
For once my eyes had bloodthirst quenched,
Her blood I wouldn't take.
My cloak upon the floor was drenched,
And she was yet awake.

I lift my eyes unto the men
Still standing at the door.
Their crossbows lower slowly, then
One sits upon the floor.
He kneels beside poor Sunshine,
And slowly, gently takes her hand.
Her eyes, they leave their gaze on mine;
She turns to face the man.

"Oh, father," Sunshine sofly cries,
With tears set in her eyes,
"Hush, girl," he says with choking voice,
"For I respect your choice."
He lifts his eyes and looks to me,
Their hatred all but gone.
The briefest halt as tears he sees,
But he continues on.

Softly he says, "Do save her, please"
I glance back at the men.
My questioning eyes the tallest sees:
"We all stand behind him."

I grasp her hand, and squeezing tight,
Pull the arrow from her breast.
She screams, so weak, face pale and white.
Now I must finish the rest.
I slash my arm with arrow's tip,
And from the cut blood starts to drip
Into her wound, it seeps inside,
Her muscles tighten, eyes go wide...

Sunshine now resides with me,
My sweet and loving wife.
I gave her immortality,
But Sunshine
Gave her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment