SOPA is past for now, but it was nothing compared to two other bills Congress is trying to pass: NDAA and PCIPA.
NDAA is the National Defense Authorization Act. It will allow the law to arrest any individual and hold them indefinitely, stripped of rights - all the government has to do is label the person as connected to terrorism.
PCIPA (also known as H.R. 1981) is the Protecting Children from Internet Pornographers Act - but don't be fooled by its good, moral title. It will demand that Internet Service Providers store your browsing history and personal data for 18 months, and without needing a probable cause, the US government would be able to freely request this information. It treats all Internet users as suspects, and privacy would be nonexistent.
edit: it was unknown to me at the time of writing this, but NDAA was passed by President Obama on New Year's Eve. It could still use awareness, all the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I feel for all the hard work you've put into this blog, you deserve a fellow blogger's input. :)
ReplyDeleteI suppose there's a reason Obama passed NDAA over New Year's when everyone happened to be off celebrating and not paying any attention to the government. As I heard - no guarantee this is accurate - NDAA was struck down by mass protest, then revived and passed suddenly overnight when everyone thought the bill was destroyed - meaning, Obama meant to pass it in secret. An extremely dangerous law that we would never've been aware of... Just as, apparently, they're trying to pass other laws right now behind our backs that excuse their ability to abuse their power.
I feel the government's just looking for excuses to exercise power it already has (but would be illegal to use) with all these catastrophic bills suddenly being written lately - NDAA, SOPA, PIPA, EEA, ACTA and PCIPA. I feel they're a major push on Obama's part toward the NWO agenda while his presidency still stands. Call it ridiculous if you must, it's only a theory, but a well-supported one. I'm well-aware Obama doesn't truly make these decisions.
Thanks for getting out and letting people know about these bills. I struggled to find info on PCIPA particularly, until I stumbled upon your post here.
I feel the same way about it - Obama meant to pass it in secret. He's also avoiding answering questions about it, even now that it's a law: http://suicidegirlsblog.com/blog/is-obama-avoiding-awkward-questions-about-the-ndaa/ He's looking for reasons and means to exercise power. SOPA and PIPA were just covers for ACTA and PCIPA, and they're doing an excellent job of keeping PCIPA hidden. (Also, I don't call it ridiculous, I stand with you on this.)
ReplyDeleteAlso, thanks for commenting - lets me know it's all been worth it. =) And if you can, spread the word on PCIPA and ACTA - it would be detrimental to the internet if they passed.