Monday, January 25, 2010

Some Thoughts

Now, I was feeling rather depressed this morning. I'm not sure why; I just seem to get that way sometimes. But, something I often do when I'm feeling a little down is go for a walk. It helps me take my mind off whatever it is that's troubling me and think about something else. I start feeling calm; I feel comfortable and collected, as if all my thoughts are in one place, and I can view them at will. It's a nice feeling.

What usually happens when I go for a walk is that I come up with a number of thoughts (not necessarily related to each other) that are usually quite interesting to think about. Here's a couple of them.


Thought #1

Fat people get picked on, and skinny people get laughed at. Why? It's just the way we are. Nobody seems to care about that fact, as they insist that everyone be average weight. Now, I'm skinny. I've always been so. When I was 13, I only weighed around 60 pounds. It wasn't that I didn't eat, I was just really energetic, and I had a high metabolism. I'll admit, I used to be concerned about my weight, always worrying that I was too skinny. People laughed at me, calling me things like "featherweight" and "paperboy" and "toothpick". I thought it was a bad thing. But now I see that maybe it wasn't. It made me unique in a very visible way. Is uniqueness bad? No! Not at all! Consider for a second: why exactly do people pick on fat and skinny people? Because they care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't even give those particular people as much as a second look. Average people are almost always overlooked when it comes to being picked on. It's not because people are being nice to them, it's just that nobody cares. I'd rather be skinny and be noticed than average and be undeserving of a second look. But something else interesting about this: when I stopped caring how I looked, people ceased to poke fun. I began to poke fun at myself, laughing about how I was so skinny that if they needed to, I'd let them use me as a lock pick. And nobody found it funny to poke fun at me anymore.


Thought #2

Most people (who aren't hard-core evolutionists (I've been criticized for using that word - why??)) believe that this world was created for us. But why do they assume this? Is it not possible that we were created for this world? Consider: God creates the Earth. Millions of plants and animals, spectacular views, virtually endless exploration opportunities. But if he didn't create us, who would there be to enjoy it? The whole world would be useless except as an experiment, without intelligent beings like us to admire it. Perhaps we were created to give the Earth a purpose, and that is our purpose. I'm not saying I believe any of this, it's just a thought.


And there you have it! There was one more, but it was more fragmented than the other two, and was more about personal experiences. I tend to get philosophical on long walks, but the first thought is usually a bust, as I'm just getting warmed up.

1 comment:

  1. Like what you read? Want some more philosophizing? Tell me so! I'll take another walk! :)

    ReplyDelete