Friday, January 15, 2010

A Trip for Gathering Furniture

Yesterday, my family and I went back to our old house to gather up some of our furniture.

"What?!?" you ask. Well, maybe I should start a little closer to the beginning.

For most of my life, we lived in a two-story house in the suburbs of a major city. We had always wanted to move out, and last year we finally did - to what became known as the "Hill House". It was called so because it  was built at the very top of a slope. It wasn't at the top of the hill (small mountain, really); there was another slope going up behind it. Anyway, we only lived there a year, despite how nice the house was. The neighborhood was great, too.

Now we live in a little "middle of nowhere" town. It's not a "don't blink" town (short for "don't blink or you'll miss it"), but it's far enough away from the majority of civilization that if we stand on our front lawn, we can only see two other houses besides ours. And there's always the smell of cows. I hate that smell.

Anyway, the lease we had on the Hill House hasn't run out yet, and neither have we sold the Suburb House. A large portion of our belongings still remain in the Hill House. After my mom married my step dad, we all moved out here to his house. (He's a really great guy. Spent last summer building an addition to his house, just for "us kids". I have my own room!)

Among the belongings remaining at the Hill House, we had a number of dressers and chests of drawers that needed moved. That's what we did last night. We went there (an hour's drive) and took back with us five dressers in my step dad's parents's Ford F-150.


<< I took this picture on the way there. I love sunsets. Sorry. Wrong subject! Umm...

We got there at about six o' clock, and immediately began working on deciding what to take. My mom's dresser was the first to be decided on, and we took it out there and loaded it up right away.


Here's my mom's dresser, after we loaded it into the truck. My step dad and I loaded it in, with the help of a large piece of plywood we used as a ramp. >>

After that, we had to think a while before we knew for sure what we were going to take. We finally decided on taking the two dressers that belong to my brothers, as well as mine and the dresser my sisters use.


<< My old room looks kind of odd with so much space - I'm used to seeing my bed there! We took it - along with both of my brothers' beds - last week. What do you see in the picture? Hmm... The fan that I used to help me get to sleep is at the bottom right. (I always have something producing white noise when I go to sleep.) The dresser in the far right corner is an old one I had when I was 6. I haven't really used it sense. It was in my room for the past year because we didn't have anywhere else to put it. On the right is the dresser I've been using for my clothes, because my room didn't have a closet. In the back left corner, you see two sets of plastic, stacking shelves. I love those things. Easy to move and reassemble. I keep my books, software, and spare computer parts on them. If you look at the left side of the room, you can see my armchair - another piece of furniture I really like.


<< All the dressers in the truck. Yay! It took us forever. We didn't drop any, but I've got a cut on my hand and a nice little place on my knee where the skin got rubbed off to remember this trip by. In the front is the dresser my sisters use. On the left is Greg's, the tall one is Zach's, and mine is the short one to the right of it. Zach's gave us the hardest time of all - we could barely get the drawers out (we finally gave up and left two of them in), and it was still so heavy! When we finally got the dresser out there, the drawers wouldn't go back in! This was where I got the cut on my hand. It's okay, though. Doesn't hurt anymore.


Our garage. This isn't going to be our last trip - not by a long shot. Oh, but I wish it was, though! I'm tired of moving. I can hardly believe I was ever excited by the thought of it!


Our chalkboard! In the garage. You can see the edge of it in the far right of the picture above this one. What homeschooling family can boast of having an authentic chalkboard? We can! We're really proud of it - but we haven't had a place to put it in over a year! And we still don't! Its fate is undecided...


The Hill House. We loved it, for the most part. Sure, the heat didn't always work... We didn't mind too badly that the sink leaked... We forgave it for the fact that you could never get a hot shower... The dishwasher wouldn't wash dishes, but we did fine anyway... I'd better stop here, before I get off the subject. We liked the house. It has a nice view.
BUT I HATED THE LAWN!!! If you started at the top, you'd slip and fall on the uncut grass. A riding lawnmower would tip over, so you had to start at the bottom with a push mower, and wrestle the thing to the top. I got a second degree burn last summer because of it. It takes two hours to mow, by the way, and the lawn for the Suburb House only took thirty minutes!

Sorry. I got sidetracked.

<< Here's yet another handsome picture of yours truly. I'm wearing what I wore to take the furniture into my step dad's house. Actually, I took this picture right after we got back.

Actually, come to think of it, I took the coat off later, when I got a little warm. Warm temperatures make me start itching, and if it gets too warm, I start to feel dizzy. I'm really good with cold temperatures, though. It was down to 30 degrees last night, and I was comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans. I like the winter a lot better than the summer. Spring's best, though. It's not too hot, and it doesn't look like everything's dead.

Sorry. I got off track again.

We finally finished around 10:30, at which point we ate pizza from Little Seizures. You know, they have that little guy who jumps around and says, "Pete's a pizza!" Yeah, thought you might recognize it.

Anyway, we got the furniture here! Yay! I slept very well last night - except for the fact that I dreamed of furniture. I hate it when that happens...



No comments:

Post a Comment