![]() |
| It's unlikely you'd see much more brutal carnage than this unfortunate space scene. (I'm kidding, this happens all the time) |
![]() |
| A well-drawn, undamaged Shuriken at top left damages blue's Star on the left side. I honestly can't tell what ship is at the bottom of the clip - it's too badly damaged to be recognizable. |
![]() |
| A destroyed Bristleblaster next to an allied Firefly that didn't even get a chance to fire. |
![]() |
| A very well-planned space battle on green's part - the lasers from the Swingwing (left) destroyed the shields of red's Shuriken (center) and the Swingwing's got a chance to do some major damage. |
![]() |
| This image depicts a Phoenix (center) under heavy fire from multiple enemies. Regretfully, you can't see whether the Phoenix actually destroyed anything from this one small pic. |
I will admit it... It's entirely my fault that there's such a mess of pictures in this post. But, in my defense, there's a reason for it... sort of... Yes, these are pictures from the game I'm working on - Alien Invasion. They're the choicest snips of the choicest screenshots - only the best. However, I averaged about 1.5 of these per battle, so images like these are nothing rare. Let me explain a bit about how all this works. (Scroll down to next part, please.)
![]() |
| A Ribcage concentrates half its fire on blue's Phoenix, while blue retaliates with a few poorly-aimed shots from the Stealth Fighter at top-l |
![]() |
| A Dented Rectangle (my brother named it) fires on the enemy ship that knocked out all but a few of its guns, while an allied Firefly struggles to survive. |
![]() |
| An excellent example of guided missiles. They're curving first to destroy the Battle Ball (top center) and then to attack the Sixstar Mace. |
![]() |
| A Glidebomber mercilessly attacks blue's Longbow. Longbows are expensive ships - it's likely that it's the only one that the blue player has. |
![]() |
| A red Swingwing and yellow Pufferfish attack green's Cruiser. The Pufferfish was lucky to survive - they have no shields and hardly any armor. |
![]() |
| A Shuriken and Checkerboard duking it out. Note that the Shuriken has support from ships off the right side of the screen. |
![]() |
| An Arachnea firing what weapons it has left. |
The dotted lines are cannon fire, and the thin, brightly colored ones are lasers. Darker, curving lines are guided missiles, and the thicker darker lines are regular missiles. You can see very clearly in the screenshots that lasers do a lot more
![]() |
| Two Skyhawks and a badly damaged Squiggly. |
damage to shields than cannon fire does, for example. Explosions that occur off in the middle of nowhere are where weapons self-destruct to keep from damaging allied ships (it's the future, why not?). (Scroll down again, please.)
![]() |
| A Skyhawk (a favorite of the AI for some reason) is madly attacking green's TIE Fighter, and knocked out one of the wings. |
![]() |
| A Frost Star and Cruiser locked in battle, taking on enemy fire from all sides. |
![]() |
| A horribly damaged, unfired Piranha waits it's turn to fire - if it can survive long enough. (top left) |
![]() |
| A Carrier. |
![]() |
| A Nova under heavy fire. This ship is one of my personal favorites. The ringing lasers are excellent for weakening enemy shields at the start of a battle. |
I suppose you might be wondering why I'm posting even more worthless images up here... As anybody who knows me well at all could tell you, I'm a hardcore fan of AI (artificial intelligence). You've likely guessed it by now. (Scroll down again)
![]() |
| A Gorgon under attack. |
![]() |
| This is the Star Plane, if I remember correctly. You can see how the cannon fire has destroyed some of the guns and set them smoking. |
I decided to add AI players to Alien Invasion. They're actually pretty good... at the moment I have the game running in a loop (four AI players against themselves) so that it can perfect its AI. I've lost a number of games against the AI already, testing it out. But, as the AI still had a few bugs, I decided to let it fight itself for a number of hours. These are screenshots from that. It's learning from its mistakes, honing itself into a perfect opponent for any unwitting player. But, despite how much I'd love to rub it in the player's face, I'm going to add something so the player can control how smart the AI is. At any rate, Alien Invasion is almost done. I just need to get to work on those ships...
![]() |
| An expensive Heavy Cruiser falls out of combat and into the blackness of the void of space at bottom left, victim of fire from a Longbow (offscreen, top left). |
![]() |
| A Shotguard ship eliminated from combat by a fusillade of red lasers an cannons - judging by the pattern, I'd say it was fired from a Cosmic Banana. (Also, at bottom left you can see a Cherry Bomb.) |























No comments:
Post a Comment