Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Distracted by Dwarf Fortress

I've gotten horribly distracted by Dwarf Fortress. For those of you who don't know, Dwarf Fortress is a game created by a solo programmer, and distributed for free. The creator, "Toady One", as he calls himself, survives completely on donations he receives from the fanbase - which is surprisingly extensive. The game itself is incredibly complex - but the graphics are completely ASCII. I first started playing in October of last year.

Around a week ago, I started learning how to mod in Dwarf Fortress - how to change the files of the game to make the game do what I wanted it to do. Then I found a small modding team, and in the middle of testing a few races to use in a succession game, we came up with the idea of Manamaids... I'm going to have to explain everything a little bit at a time. Unfortunately, I may have to wait a bit - I need to finish this final post. You can watch for it here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102730.75

No comments:

Post a Comment